Patsy and I spent a long time working in the garden on Saturday morning. As you can see, things are beginning to finish up, and we are pulling out the spent vines. The nice cilantro, basil, boc choi, etc. that you see are doing well. They are the seeds I planted in August for my fall crop.
On Friday, I pulled all the beets from last spring and made pickled beets. There weren’t very many, but they were huge.
They were really, really big and very ugly, but I boiled them for an hour and a half, peeled them, and cut them into chunks.
I cut around the woody core and threw it away, as it was tough. I got plenty anyway.
I made a really big mess in the process and spent the rest of the day cleaning up pink beet juice.
I made up the pickling brine according to the booklet I got from the extension office and canned for 30 minutes in a hot water bath, according to the directions. Now, I have a nice bunch (around 14) of pint jars of pickled beets. Yum!
While working in the garden on Saturday, I had Patsy pull and wash all the carrots, so I have about 5-1 gallon bags of those in the camper fridge. We also dug the potatoes that were left and the few onions as well. I picked lettuce and broccoli. There were zucchini and cucumbers, too. I picked every tomato that was red because it was supposed to rain. They tend to crack in the rain. I got 1/3 box and will can those up this week.
I was able to use a few of the volunteer baby green onions this week. I need to weed around them better (obviously) and they should go all fall and live through the winter.
The tiny little cabbages I planted have grown well this time, and are starting to head up. The Swiss chard is prolific, but needs a little TLC.
Our biggest task was to get these Marion (black) berries tied up.
We pruned out the old, dead canes and untangled the new vines and tied them up. Patsy was a big help. We both ended up with lots and lots of stickers in our hands, despite the gloves. In the end, we were both pleased with how the berry row looked, though! This job is not for the faint of heart:) I’m hoping I finally got the last sticker out of my hand last night!
All done for this year!
My sister sent more Italian prunes and grape tomatoes. I will send the extra tomatoes to school with Rob, as neither she nor I can eat an entire bucket of them. They are loving them at his school.
The peas and kale are coming along nicely. Kale is hardy, so will last. Most of the garden is winding down, though, and I plan to continue pulling out spent vines, picking small bits of produce that are still ripening, and then Rob will till up the empty areas. We have a huge compost pile where I’ve been throwing the old vines, canning scraps, etc., and we will spread all that out and till it in if we can.
We did get our first soaking rain last night, and so it will be wet this week, for the first time in a long time. How nice. We really needed it.