I was delighted when we were given 40 pounds of bananas. It was a whole box, and there were a lot of bananas in it. They were in excellent condition. They were even organic! What a blessing. There were also a few bunches in a bag that were not quite as nice, but could still be used. So, I think I had about 50 or more pounds to work with. Here’s what I did with them.
- We have been eating bananas at every opportunity.
- I took some bunches to share with my family.
- I had the 4H dry some and they will use them at the next meeting.
- I tried another recipe that was suggested on The Prudent Homemaker blog. I cut strips and sprinkled them with brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger and they are drying now.
- Ja’Ana dipped some in chocolate and froze them for yummy snacks.
- I froze quite a few gallon-sized bags. I cut the bananas, put them in the bags, then squirted a squirt of lemon juice in the bag and worked it around with my hands to prevent browning. We use those frozen chunks for smoothies, and they can also be used for baking, if desired. They just need to be defrosted and smashed.
- Last, but not least, I made banana pudding. This was also a suggestion from The Prudent Homemaker Blog. I made a simple cornstarch vanilla pudding and added bananas. We ate some, but I put too many bananas in it and it broke down and became runny. So, I froze the rest for smoothies or milkshakes.
- We still have 4-5 bunches left over for eating and further creativity. It took most of the day yesterday, but I’m delighted to say I’m fully stocked up on bananas right now. What a blessing!